While processing a pile of backlogged vintage ads awhile back, I encountered a set of spots from a batch of mid-1980s issues of Maclean's promoting a period creamy liqueur. Each ad listed 21 favourite items of models straight from Eighties central casting. Which made me think: what would a list of 21 of my favourite things look like?
I loathe making "favourite" lists of any sort. Compiling "top ten" lists makes me shudder. Yet I love reading them. Go figure.
Figuring I should rock the boat a little during this website's anniversary week, here are 21 random faves off the top of my head, in no particular order:
- The current weather
- Oven-baked asparagus
- Seeing friends succeed
- Stumbling upon wonderful books by accident at the library
- Mango-banana smoothies
- People who support and improve my work
- Watching Mom discover new likes
- Roasted peameal bacon recipe from Gourmet magazine's Montreal issue (though note it should be roasted at least 40 minutes)
- Reading my nuclear stockpile of ancient magazines
- Zingerman's Delicatessen
- Citizen Kane
- Watching old game shows on YouTube
- Driving or walking through Rouge Valley
- Sampling new beverages
- Showing friends parts of the city they've never seen before/know little about
- Researching topics like the origins of the whoopee cushion
- An afternoon or evening running errands downtown while hopping on and off Bixi bicycles
- Filling my daytimer
- Testing Indian recipes
- Wondering what surprises tomorrow will bring
Advertisements taken from the following editions of Maclean's (top to bottom): June 16, 1986; July 7, 1986; July 21, 1986.