dining out: seoul city

Met up with a dozen other foodies down on Queen West Friday night to try Seoul City. It was the first time in a few months I'd gone out for an organized dinner like this, a chance to sample different places and chat about food for hours. Even if the meal is iffy, the company makes up for it.
Oxtail Ravioli Soup
I made the wrong choice off the appetizer list. Oxtail Ravioli Soup sounded intriguing, but turned out to be one of the blandest soups I have ever tasted. The broth was tasteless and loaded with salt, while the oxtail, while tender, needed spice. I finish the ravioli, left the broth.

This was balanced by a French Seoul martini, containing soju, chambord, lime and pineapple juice, whose only fault was how quickly I downed it.

Grilled Octopus Salad and Kimchi Crab Cakes
What I should have ordered was the Kimchi Crab Cakes on the right (Grilled Octopus Salad is in the background). Right texture, good taste.

Bulgolgi
For the main, I went with the Bulgogi Rice Bowl. The meat was nicely marinated, but the rice/mushroom mixture could have used a shot of pepper paste. Maybe I'm too used to having the latter at Korean spots along Bloor St.

Braised Beef Short Ribs Black Cod
Two of the other mains: Braised Beef Short Ribs on the left, Black Cod on the right. The rice cake under the ribs drew raves from those who taste-tested it.

A couple of people ordered dessert, a trio of mini creme brulees, each with a different flavour (green tea, red bean and ginger). I should have skipped the appetizer and saved more room to handle a set of the creamy brulees on my own.

Verdict: attractive presentation, weak choices on my part, stick with testing the cheap Korean spots around town.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

past pieces of toronto: the mynah bird

past pieces of toronto: knob hill farms

the smiling men of pasadena 2: the eternal smile of "uncle bill" haas