|260 Church Street, May 7, 1913. City of Toronto Archives, Series 372, Subseries 1, Item 35. Click on image for larger version.|
|Toronto Star, May 7, 1913.|
Anyone who banked at 260 Church during its long run as a branch must have needed a flow chart to track the mergers that affected the site. The Sterling Bank vanished into the Standard Bank of Canada in January 1925, a move directors made to reduce overhead and, according to the Star, “place them in a better position to meet the needs of the banking public throughout the Dominion.” Three years later, the Standard Bank merged into the Canadian Bank of Commerce. In 1961, “Imperial” was added to the branch’s name after a union with the Imperial Bank of Canada. The last change was CIBC’s departure from the site circa 1971.
|Picture of Pizza Pizza at 260 Church which originally accompanied the article.|
Additional material from the May 7, 1913 and October 2, 1924 editions of the Toronto Star.