|Toronto Life, December 1985.|
Just as redevelopment a century-and-a-half later pushed out the coffee houses and hippie kids, the growing village of Yorkville successfully petitioned to close the cemetery in 1855. Getting rid of Potter’s Field wasn’t easy—though many remains, including those of 1837 rebels Samuel Lount and Peter Matthews, were quickly moved to the Necropolis, it wasn’t until 1881 that the last of the unclaimed bones were legally sent elsewhere.
|Northwest corner of Bloor and Yonge, with view of the old Pilot Tavern location, late 1960s or early 1970s. Photo by Ellis Wiley. City of Toronto Archives, Fonds 124, File 2, Image 110. Click on image for larger version.|
|Globe and Mail, October 14, 1974.|
|Toronto Star, April 10, 1981.|
|Photo of Cumberland Terrace taken along Cumberland Street, April 10, 2008.|
In 2008, Oxford Properties revealed plans designed by architectural firm Bregman + Hamann for a new complex featuring retail, two condo towers, and nine luxury town homes. Holt Renfrew expressed interest in expanding its nearby store into the project, which was slated to begin by spring 2010. While the city approved the proposal in February 2010, neighbouring businesses like the Pilot Tavern were concerned about the development’s impact, especially the height of its podium, which developers agreed to set back further from the street. While an appeal at the OMB was settled in April 2011, groundbreaking doesn’t appear to be on the horizon. During this lull, history buffs should take advantage of one of the last barely altered examples of 1970s Toronto retail architecture.
Additional material from the April 22, 1981 and August 23, 2008 editions of the Globe and Mail, and the January 16, 1953, October 14, 1974, April 10, 1981, and November 27, 1994 editions of the Toronto Star.
|Panel on Gallery Moos, Cumberland Terrace, November 2014. Click on image for larger version.|