foods men like (4)

pages 18-19

New England Clam Chowder: once upon a time I liked ready-to-serve canned versions whose texture was similar to wallpaper paste. Along with my taste for most tinned soups, this liking went by the wayside (Manhattan-style seems better suited for long-term preservation in the cupboard). Condensed versions were usually suspect thanks to the transparent gelatinous blobs that never mixed well with milk. These days I make my own with a little help from Better than Bouillon's clam base.


Noodles Romanoff: synonymous with Noodle Roni in my mind. Fancy mac n' cheese-ish side dish. Haven't eaten Noodle Roni or its relatives Lipton Noodles & Sauce/Knorr Sidekicks in years - either my tastebuds changed, the recipes changed, or my organs finally recognized there was nothing remotely natural in these products.

Onion Rings: for sheer size, unless a restaurant is gunning for a spot in the Guinness book, no onion rings will ever top those Dad and I shared at the Holiday Inn French Quarter in Perrysburg, Ohio thirty years ago. We're not talking slightly thicker than usual - these rings were at least 2" high, which created a challenge for little me to slide them into my mouth. Either the largest onions that arrived in that week's shipment were used for our meal, or the restaurant was involved in secret government development of mutant vegetables.

pages 20-21

Me football player. Me like giant chunk of pork. Me eat with big fork. Me like even if pork chunk not recipes beside it, or me am eating giant pork hock.

pages 22-23

Foodies take note: May 20 is National Quiche Lorraine Day. You can decide if quiche a dish for a real man, or if a hearty reuben sandwich is a more masculine meal.

Apart from the shape and using fresh potatoes instead of McCain's, there's nothing "raw" about the raw fries. Seems the author was trying to raise the ruggedness quotient after the quiche recipe.

To be continued... - JB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

past pieces of toronto: knob hill farms

past pieces of toronto: the mynah bird

the smiling men of pasadena 2: the eternal smile of "uncle bill" haas