fringe time (and food)

Two more reviews from me as part of Torontoist's Fringe coverage: Tim Buck 2 and A Singularity of Being. The latter review also appears to be the first post I've written that I've noticed a link for on the Globe and Mail's Toronto page (pictured left). The review link shares space with three CUPE strike related pieces: a Marcus Gee column arguing city councillors deserve more pay, a list of reasons why most Torontonians haven't blown a gasket yet over the strike, and random strike survival tips.

***

Spending several days in a row attending Fringe shows has provided an opportunity to slip in chances to try out dining spots within walking distance of the venues that I've been meaning to get around to. Case in point: while walking from the Tarragon to Factory on Saturday, I detoured through Little Italy to grab a bite at Caplansky's Delicatessen. I ordered the special ($12), consisting of slaw, fries, pickle and a small smoked meat sandwich. I loved the smokiness of the meat, which had the pink hue of typical smoked meat but tasted much like a southern-style brisket sans barbecue sauce. The deli currently operates as a concession on the upper floor of the Monarch Tavern—I found the atmosphere relaxing, the sort of worn but comfortable spot I liked in university.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

past pieces of toronto: knob hill farms

past pieces of toronto: the mynah bird

past pieces of toronto: albert britnell book shop