dining out: seoul city

Met up with a dozen other foodies down on Queen West Friday night to try Seoul City. It was the first time in a few months I'd gone out for an organized dinner like this, a chance to sample different places and chat about food for hours. Even if the meal is iffy, the company makes up for it.
Oxtail Ravioli Soup
I made the wrong choice off the appetizer list. Oxtail Ravioli Soup sounded intriguing, but turned out to be one of the blandest soups I have ever tasted. The broth was tasteless and loaded with salt, while the oxtail, while tender, needed spice. I finish the ravioli, left the broth.

This was balanced by a French Seoul martini, containing soju, chambord, lime and pineapple juice, whose only fault was how quickly I downed it.

Grilled Octopus Salad and Kimchi Crab Cakes
What I should have ordered was the Kimchi Crab Cakes on the right (Grilled Octopus Salad is in the background). Right texture, good taste.

Bulgolgi
For the main, I went with the Bulgogi Rice Bowl. The meat was nicely marinated, but the rice/mushroom mixture could have used a shot of pepper paste. Maybe I'm too used to having the latter at Korean spots along Bloor St.

Braised Beef Short Ribs Black Cod
Two of the other mains: Braised Beef Short Ribs on the left, Black Cod on the right. The rice cake under the ribs drew raves from those who taste-tested it.

A couple of people ordered dessert, a trio of mini creme brulees, each with a different flavour (green tea, red bean and ginger). I should have skipped the appetizer and saved more room to handle a set of the creamy brulees on my own.

Verdict: attractive presentation, weak choices on my part, stick with testing the cheap Korean spots around town.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

get cracking with campbell's omelette mate!

past pieces of toronto: the mynah bird